Homeowners always wonder when to cut down trees? We hope this handy guide will help to clarify some ideas on that. We asked our tree trimmers Oahu for ideas too. When we think about tree trimming and tree pruning, don’t forget to consider the type of tree we are talking about and a number of the factors. For example, insect exposure, predisposition to disease, and environmental landscape architecture.
Usually, the best time to trim or prune trees and shrubs is the winter months.
From November to March most trees are resting, making it a perfect time for the following reasons:
- Trees are less susceptible to insects or diseases.
- This has less impact on the surrounding landscape and our team can easily see what they do when all the leaves fall.
- Trees heal faster, therefore when spring comes, they will be in a better and healthy place once again.
- You may actually save more money since it’s less busy for most landscapers.
Why prune a tree?
Pruning is a regular part of all tree and plant care services. It improves the overall condition of the plant by promoting growth, improves the overall health of plants, increases pressure on your property, and can increase flower and fruit production.
Trimming remove dead or dying branches damaged by diseases, insects, animals, storms or other damage. For that reason, it is equally important. Here are more benefits:
- Lift branches that rub together
- Remove stubs
- Removing dead branches
- Tear down dangerous trees
- Keep your yard looking clean and nice
- Promote flower and fruit development
- Provide a dense fence
- Stimulate desired plant shape or special garden shapes
- Improve the appearance and overall attractiveness of plants
- Check the size and shape of the plant
- Keep the shrubs well proportioned, lush, and bushy
- Remove unnecessary branches, bongs, skids, and unwanted fruit structures that disrupt the appearance of the plant
- Protect your family and property from falling branches
- Protect your liability if damages occur to others
For the prevention of certain diseases, pruning at the end of winter is especially great.
For example, Oak trees should be trimmed from March to November to avoid oak wilt disease.
April to February is great to prune apple trees. Spring and summer pruning increases the risk of infection in these trees. But autumn and early winter pruning can lead to growth problems in the coming season.
Another rule of thumb is to trim and prune after blooming and before new growth. Hedges and shrubs should probably be pruned 2x/year. Evergreens require much fewer tree services. But defer to the specific type.
For tree trimming Oahu info check our listing and give us a call. If you live in another state you can contact a local tree company as well with any questions and suggestions.
Green Grass Hawaii - Landscaping Oahu
1189 Waimanu St Suite #3202, Honolulu, HI 96814